Drive Auto Sports uses a Dynapack DAQ52. There are two main reasons for this:
- It is the best.
- It is portable.
In that order.
Dynapack offers features you could only dream of with many roller dynos. While there are some really great roller dynos out there, here are 6 reasons why the Dynapack is so great:
- The Dynapack physically bolts to your vehicle. There is no possibility of tire slip or of a strap breaking or a vehicle potentially flying off of the dyno. The Dynapack is the safest dyno out there. Tire slip and tire deformation on a roller dyno is a big issue especially with high horsepower cars. Wheelspin makes evaluating any changes to the vehicle during areas of slip impossible, since the dyno is only displaying available traction, not engine output. Changes up or down on the graph are merely an indication of how much grip you may have gained or lost as a result of the tires getting hotter!
- The Dynapack offers incredible steady state control. It is able to target a specific RPM point and keep the engine at that speed from friction HP (the power it takes to drive the wheels at that RPM) all the way to maximum HP without ever moving more than a few RPM up or down. This allows the engine calibrator to fully map an engine with incredible efficiency. Using a dyno without load control means you are randomly sweeping through RPM and load cells and are unable to hold the engine at one load point for any period of time. Tuning like that is basically shooting in the dark.
- The Dynapack is so mobile that it makes a mobile business a real option for shop owners. The system requires only a hose for water cooling and 20A of 110V power, and most of that power is for the fans!
- The Dynapack is incredibly repeatable – even with wildly changing weather. The repeatability of this dyno allows you to evaluate changes with a high level of confidence even if you can’t back-to-back the changes you’ve made to the vehicle on the same day.
- The Dynapack offers incredible data logging. With 2 Wideband O2 inputs, dual Map sensors, a low voltage TPS and RPM pickup and a complete on-board weather station, the dyno can capture and organize a ton of data for even the simplest of vehicle. This makes tuning much faster and more efficient, and the redundancy of having multiple sensors means that your engine is always being tuned with the confidence that the readings are correct.
- The Dynapack requires no re-calibration. Many other dyno systems out there must be re-calibrated regularly. This means if your car was tuned close to the time of dyno re-calibration, then it is very likely that your power readings were inaccurate and next time you visit that dyno you may need to re-baseline the vehicle. With a Dynapack the power output is consistent for the life of the machine.